Monday, November 06, 2006

Misc.

I have several unrelated items I want to post tonight. Not that they aren't related to me so much as they aren't really related to each other. The first will be the long a waited post about my good friend Nick Morandi. Second will be the importance and the value of good music. Last but not lease will be girls.

So if you are an avid reader of my blog...or if you just caught my first blog you will notice a thanks went out to Nick Morandi for humbling me in Ultimate. I think it is probably wise to expound on this subject so here it comes. Last year when the year was winding down a lot of Ultimate was being played. It was the first time that I had played with that specific group, and the only people I really knew were Kyle and Brad. I had heard of Thatcher and I knew a few others by reputation but over all that was it. I had only heard a few things about Nick Morandi. I knew that he was well liked and I had only heard good things but like most people, I felt that of course he would be inferior to me when it came to ultimate. Yeah, I know I was a cocky jerk last year. I had only played backyard and pick up Ultimate, I had certainly never played with the caliber of Ultim-ites that I had the privilege to play with that day. So I was humbled in general but then one time I went to receive the disk and Nick shut down somethin' fierce. He caught the Frisbee and then made a great pass with me guarding him. So then I ran down field guarding him and he still caught the disk again and scored!! I couldn't believe it. I had been royally shown up by a Sophomore! I definitely was shocked. Not only did I gain respect for good ole' Nick Morandi but I was also humbled quite a bit. I think that this helped me start to get rid of my own bigotry and pride/vanity. So thanks again Nick. :)

Tonight I had the honor of going to the Concert Band and Orchestra concert. It was pretty sweet. I have General Authorities to back me up on this one but I think there is an amazing spirit that comes with Instrumental music. I think that all though I am sure choirs will be heavily prevalent in Heaven, I think the Lord has a special place in his heart for classical type music. Maybe that is just me though.

Again, last but not least, girls. I don't know what it is about them. I know I have been taught that lesson about natural attraction in Sunday School about a hundred times but I still don't understand how I can shift my feelings so quickly. I like girls, then I don't, then I do, then I don't again. Why is that. I almost think it is the natural man battling with my spiritual parts. I don't now but I think there is something to be said for the feeling of mission prep. I feel I have more control and a better understanding of girls because of it. Preparing for a mission is the coolest ever! I encourage all LDS young men to pursue it and if you aren't LDS, convert and allow the Lord to work in you as you prepare to serve him. You will never regret it!

2 comments:

Frissa said...

I definitely agree with what you said about instrumental music. As much as I love singing there is a special place in my heart for Orchestra (and Band). You would love it even more if you participated in making it. I love your posts Karl...and you! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I did not know that.

Thanks a lot, Karl, and you're welcome, I guess.

Ultimate Blogger R You