Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Re-Culture America

I am pulling out my soap box so everyone better buckle up tight. I have some things to say, some things that I have been thinking about today and I think are truths so I will share them with you all. I am really interested to see the comments on this one because it might go in a direction that I am not expecting. Enough digression, on to the meat of this post.

I wish I had some statistics on this but I guess they really aren't necessary. What creates culture? Are Americans a well cultured people? Now I'm not talking about diversity. We are all "cultured" if you are talking about exposure to diverse cultures. Now I wouldn't say diversity makes America great but I would say the fact that we are exposed to so many cultures is a plus. Here again, I digress.

Now are we really cultured? I was at the Taylorsville High School band and orchestra concert the other night and I thought, "This is of value. This exposure to classical type music is good for me. By spending time here I am becoming a cultured person." Funny how thoughts work sometimes. Then I thought about museums in Utah. When was the last time any one of has been to a museum not counting the ones on Temple Square?

I will be honest. The last time I went to a non-LDS museum was in 5th grade.

It is true.

I got thinking at this. Why haven't I gone to museums? Why don't I take those opportunities? Aside from the obvious reasons such as time restrictions from work and/or school, I could think of only one. I would rather do something else.

Now don't get me wrong, I love to learn in almost any situation. I even consider myself cultured. I know lots of things that I feel are important but then why would I be opposed to going to a museum?

Keep in mind, I'm not just talking about museums. I am talking about Opera, Symphonies, Musicals, Ballets, ect. I am not saying that I participate in these things because I am as guilty as the rest of the world, I simply don't make time to go to these "cultural" events.

So here in lies the problem, and I don't know that it should be remedied on a large scale, but with the advent of television and well technology in general we lose these things.

Now I don't want to come across as some weirdo that hates technology, and that if Thatcher saw he would say, "Look honey, a weirdo" to his imaginary gird friend. I don't think technology is bad in fact I like it, I am using it right now but I do that there is a problem in this world that we aren't willing to leave are houses and interact with the community around us because we are addicted to the stimulus that is coming, unfiltered through the cords in our walls.

This has probably been my most incoherent post yet but hey why fight that. I really should work on my organization of ideas but just wanted to get this idea out here. There are some things, and yes most of them have to do with music that should be apart of our lives. I know that they seem/are boring, but I wonder what that says about me that I think these activities are boring. A self-evaluation is in order and I am sure forth coming with all of this.

So in closing: Lets support the arts, bring back things like the Hansen Planetarium, and re-culture America. No more watching 1/4 dressed pop singers on TV. Lets get America away from that and focused on things that will help us become better.

No comments: