Sunday, January 24, 2010

The 9th Branch

Today was an interesting Sunday for me. It was the first Sunday back to my singles branch in nearly two months, having spent the last 8 or so Sundays at the wards of family members or at homecomings or farewells of friends. I'll admit that i was even a little nervous to be going back the the 9th Branch after so long, nervous about how I'd feel and just what would be the general response. Much to my surprise and joy i found that i felt a sense of belonging that was inexplicable. That'd be why i can't explain it.

To truly understand why this was such a surprise and a big deal I'll have to go back a ways: When i first got home from my mission i was asked by my new Stake President to attend the Singles Branch here in the stake. He said that it would be a great opportunity to strengthen the stake and help out others that had recently returned from their missions. I of course agreed to go and go i did...for about 2 weeks. My friend Chase got home soon after and i began attending a singles ward in T-ville where he lives and i lived. It was great and i really enjoyed it there, in a way it was like a mini high school reunion. Of course all of that changed when after a few more weeks i needed to renew my Temple Recommend.

I went and saw my family ward Bishop and had my interview then went to the Stake Presidents office. He took one look at the new recommend and nailed me. He asked my why i wasn't attending the singles branch and lovingly corrected and properly chastised me. It hurt at the time but i really can't complain, it was necessary. He recommitted me to go to the singles branch making it very clear to me that i didn't have to attend and that i had my agency (a sure way to make anyone feel guilty whether you want to or not. So feeling a little ashamed i repented and began attending the singles branch. It was fine, i have no complaints and i have met some great people but i didn't feel "so" good about it...until today that is.

Today was just an all around strangely wonderful day. I feel like my head all of the sudden is on straight. The spirit was felt, revelation received and it was just great. The disturbing thing though was that i felt almost attacked in someways. I came to realize that what i was doing, which by no means was bad, wasn't what I'm supposed to be doing. It's funny how it works, funny how it feels.

All i know is that there are certain capabilities, spiritual gifts that we are given, opportunities that we have. With those in union we are expected to achieve certain things, and not just for ourselves or even our families but for the nation as a whole. I've been thinking a lot about the mysteriously elusive citation that we hear all of the time in the church that designates the "Elders of Zion" as the rescuing force when the "Constitution hangs by a thread". In my mind there can be nothing more terrifying than the thought that Constitution will be in peril and more and more it seems like that days is approaching quickly.

I don't know what I've gotten myself off on now but i do know that this country is of the utmost worth and that with the privilege of living here and of having these rights comes certain inescapable responsibilities: "Where much is given much is required."

Anyway i guess in closing i am just really grateful for the 9th Branch and the spirit of belonging and of peace that seems to be part of the very air you breath there. Just another one of those tender mercies.

No comments: